Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Relationships are not all business transactions.

Here's part of a message from hunter from 2-15-17.  So maybe he doesn't think like this anymore, but idk, we haven't talked about it.

"also, my second point that i thought of last night deals with the philosophical concept of the individual.  i propose that to be a perfect partner, you must, in every scenario, put the needs of your partner above your own needs.  In other words, you need to be entirely selfless towards that person.  However, individuals are inherently selfish - they have a biological drive to be selfish in order to survive.  When resources are plentiful, up to a certain point this selfishness is harmless to other individuals.  However, when resources are scarce this selfishness harms other people while keeping the individual alive.  Relationships in general are entered into by individuals with the understanding of mutual benefit.  But sometimes there are diamaterically opposed opinions about the allocation of resources (kinda like scarcity).  In these cases, at least one individual has to suffer without that resource for the conflict of selfishness to be resolved."

It seems like hunter thinks of other people as a resource.
You don't have to use other people like that.  He thinks people are using him because he uses people.
I don't want a perfectly selfless partner.  If I did, I would just want a programmable robot, and I do not want that.  The point of having relationships with other people is that they are other people.  They are different from you.  I don't do things I hate with someone just so they'll do something with me that they hate.  That's not a friendship anyway.  I might do something with a friend that I wouldn't want to do alone, but that doesn't mean I hate the thing.  I don't do a thing for a friend so they'll owe me.  I do a thing because I love my friend and want to do a thing for/with them.

I think hunter-in-february doesn't actually like me.  I'm not sure about now.  I think that our relationship is just more distant, because he doesn't want to do things with/for me because i'm me?  I definitely do that more than he does, but I'm not sure if it's actually because I feel closer to him than he does to me, or if it's just because he has this different, stupid idea of how relationships are supposed to work.  maybe that means he doesn't feel close to anyone.  but I do hear him saying a lot that he wants to be closer to other people.  other specific people, other people who maybe also have the same kind of shitty attitude towards relationships that he has.  but it seems based on how he described his desires towards those people that he doesn't really have that attitude that he purports to have.  So maybe he's just confused about his own feelings.

Regardless, the model of relationships that he described is terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment