Wednesday, May 2, 2018

How big is my family?

A few years ago, I decided to count the number of people in my family.
I am acquainted with some second cousins etc, but I decided to count only starting with my grandparents.  So the list included my grandparents, my aunts and uncles and parents, and my cousins and their spouses and their kids and their spouses and their kids.  I counted people who were married into the family and then weren't in the family anymore due to divorce, and I counted 147 people.  Ever since then, I occasionally think "that can't be right" and I re-count.

I can't really figure out how to give an exact count.

Sometimes people want to know how many "blood-related" first cousins I have.  So they want me to exclude people who were adopted?  Oh no, include adopted people, they say.  OK, but my grandma adopted a grown man in 2009.  She said the words "I adopted him."  He and his wife and kids come to all the family gatherings ever since then.  But it wasn't a legal adoption.  But who cares?  The government has no right to define families.  But when we first met, I suggested that I refer to him as my "cousin" because I didn't feel comfortable adding on a new "uncle" when I was 22, and he agreed to that.  So if I'm counting my number of first cousins, I have no idea how to count him and his kids.

Then there's step-cousins.  Aunts and uncles who marry into the family definitely count as family, so shouldn't their kids also count?  And why should they stop being part of my family upon a divorce?  I don't stop caring about them.  Except sometimes I kinda do.  If someone as an adult leaves the family and never contacts anyone ever again, I'll probably stop thinking of them as family after like 10 years.

So, I conclude that I have up to 170 family members.  So far.
And I still find myself thinking "that seriously can't be right".

1 comment:

  1. In my family I have 4 dead cousins and 7 live ones plus their spouses and kids. Live members of my family from grandparents to second cousins I have ~sixty people I think, but I am not sure I want to count them all out right now.

    ReplyDelete